Hyundai Motor America reported September sales of 51,951 units, a 9% decrease in comparison with September 2018. Following two straight months of double digit sales growth in July and August, Hyundai closed the third quarter with total sales of 173,028, an increase of 5% over the third quarter of 2018.
|Sep-19||Sep-18||2019 YTD||2018 YTD|
Hyundai’s third quarter retail sales were up 3% compared with the third quarter of 2018, while retail sales also declined by 9% in September. Hyundai’s SUV and eco-friendly vehicle lineup achieved retail sales growth in September, led by Santa Fe (up 5%), Kona (up 20%) and Ioniq (up 20%). In total, retail SUV sales finished at 25,649 units, the best ever September retail total, representing a 60% mix of retail volume. This was the third consecutive month exceeding 60% SUV retail mix.
Total Volume Highlights
Hyundai SUVs set their all-time September total sales record, selling 27,374 units and growing 9% compared with September 2018. Kona sales increased by 22% setting a September record and Hyundai’s flagship premium three-row Palisade SUV continued to turn quickly at 50% efficiency, selling 3,495 units. The SUV performance represented 53% of total Hyundai sales compared with 44% in September of last year.
Hyundai’s eco-friendly vehicles also performed well with sales of all alternative-fueled Hyundai vehicles up 102% including Ioniq growing a significant 74%, setting a September high. Additionally, Hyundai continues to reduce its dependency on fleet sales, which were down 10% on the month.
“The fundamentals of Hyundai’s U.S. sales performance remain strong, with increasing retail sales, lower fleet volumes, reasonable incentives and well-managed inventory,” said Randy Parker, vice president, National Sales, Hyundai Motor America. “While the September year-over-year results were skewed because of the Labor Day weekend timing and two fewer selling days, we were pleased with the efforts of our entire team and retail partners in achieving growth in the third quarter. Once the final numbers from our competitors are reported, we anticipate gaining market share for the quarter and on the year.”
September Product and Corporate Activities
- Palisade Earns an IIHS TSP+: The 2020 Palisade was awarded a 2019 TOP SAFETY PICK+ from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) when equipped with optional LED headlights. This brings Hyundai’s total of TOP SAFETY PICK and TOP SAFETY PICK+ ratings to 13 vehicles, the most in the industry.
- Kona Best in its Segment for Tech Experience: The J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study ranked the Kona as the highest scoring small segment vehicle for overall technology satisfaction.
- Palisade Named a 10 Best User Experience by Wards: Recognized for its host of driver convenience and technology features, the Palisade landed a spot on the competitive 2019 Wards 10 Best User Experiences list.
- Kona Wins AutoPacific 2019 Ideal Vehicle Award: AutoPacific® named the Kona as a winner of the 2019 Ideal Vehicle Award, earning the highest overall vehicle score in the compact crossover SUV segment.
- Palisade National TV Advertising: National advertising for Hyundai’s all-new flagship SUV Palisade began in September and tapped into the notion that family is more than just the people with whom you share the same DNA.
- Music Midtown Sponsorship: Hyundai executed its sponsorship of the 25th annual Music Midtown festival with on the ground activations and integration into the Music Midtown app that featured unique augmented reality experiences.
|Vehicle||Sep-19||Sep-18||2019 YTD||2018 YTD|
*Includes Tucson Fuel Cell sales